Lancia – Astura 4th Series Pininfarina (1937)
- Vehicle Type:
- Coach Builder:
- Engine CC:
- Collection D'leteren (BE)
Lancia was preceded by an outstanding reputation in the 1930s. The models were regarded as being distinguished by superlative quality, while also featuring highly innovative technology. When the Astura was unveiled in 1931 at the Paris Salon, Lancia was targeting wealthy customers who had the wherewithal to select a carrossier to match their extravagant predilections. This particular Lancia Astura was given the impressively representative convertible body by Pininfarina in Turin, one of the coachbuilding supremos of the day. In spite of its magisterial dimensions – it measures an awe-inspiring 5.30 metres in length – the emphatically mellow lines create an aura of discreet elegance. Battista Farina – known “Pinin” – was the younger brother of Giovanni Farina, who was the owner of coachbuilder Stabilmenti Farina. Like his older sibling, “Pinin” was also a very talented coachbuilder. After he completed his apprenticeship with his brother, he started up his own business. The firm Pinin Farina named after him gained worldwide fame within a short space of time. “Pinin” Farina was an absolute master of his craft. This is evidenced by the classic baseline, extending to subtle details such as the deliberate omission of running boards and the shape of the teardrop headlights. The white livery was unexpected in an aristocratic vehicle of this era and the formalistically austere radiator grille highlights the understated self-assurance that is also reflected in the storied history of this Lancia Astura. Up until 2014, it belonged to the family of its first owner in Brussels (Belgium), before the car underwent a last-nut-and-bolt restoration in France.