BMW – 507 (1959)
- Vehicle Type:
- Coach Builder:
- Engine CC:
- Marcus Wolsdorf (DE)
Class F50 Years of Mean Machinery: BMW’s M Cars and their Ancestors
BMW achieved a magnificent feat with the Model 507 in the late 1950s. Albrecht Graf von Goertz penned the supremely elegant design. He took the daring step of drawing a horizontal twin-kidney grille rather than designing the front with the prescribed vertical style element. At a stroke, Goertz thereby succeeded in creating a sleek, modern sports layout which even today creates enthusiasm with its sheer holistic perfection. As an engine, BMW deployed the automaker’s own V8, which harmonised perfectly with the rather luxurious mien of the open two-seater.
The car never really aspired to being a serious athlete and its perennially wellheeled owners preferred driving their 507 to the tennis court on a Sunday rather than campaigning on the race track. This roadster is one of just 34 which were shipped to the United States as new cars. After passing through a number of hands, it formed the centrepiece of a private American BMW collection for nearly 30 years. Meanwhile, this Series II 507, which retains its original engine to this day, is once again in an immaculate condition as new after a comprehensive restoration.