Ferrari – 330 GTC Speciale (1967)
- Vehicle Type:
- Coach Builder:
- Engine CC:
- William E. Heinecke (TH)
Class EGRAN TURISMO: EXPERIMENTING WITH THE POST-WAR EUROPEAN GT
Ferrari produced the 330 GTC model from 1966 onwards. The Speciale was powered by the legendary V12 engine under the bonnet, which traced its roots back to the design by Gioacchino Colombo in 1947. This version is immediately identifiable by aficionados because it is cloaked in a different body to the series models. In particular, the headlamps and the elegant roof contour reveal the undoubted signature of Pininfarina. The renowned American cardiology surgeon Michael DeBakey was the first owner. In 1966, he had visited the Ferrari plant together with his friends Princess de Réthy and her husband, the former Belgian King Leopold III, and took the
opportunity to order a 330 GTC with this Pininfarina special body. It was produced in an edition of just four units and is a picture-perfect reflection of the cosmopolitan elegance exuded by Italian artistry at the tail-end of the 1960s. In March 1967, Pininfarina was able to present this example to a public audience at the Salon de l’Automobile in Geneva before the car was delivered to its owner. The story of this exotic rarity is outstandingly documented and since 2018 it has resided with the current owner in sensitively restored original condition.