Frazer-Nash – Le Mans Coupé (1954)
- Vehicle Type:
- Coach Builder:
- Engine CC:
- Albert Streminski (DE)
Class EGRAN TURISMO: EXPERIMENTING WITH THE POST-WAR EUROPEAN GT
As early as 1933, Frazer Nash embarked on a cooperative venture with BMW and soon after took on the role of general importer for Great Britain. During the period after the Second World War, Frazer-Nash – having meanwhile adopted a hyphen in the spelling of the marque – took advan- tage of the potent engines from the BMW 328. Bristol had previously revised these technically, and in motor sport, the English designs enjoyed considerable success. In 1949, a Frazer-Nash took third place in the overall placings at Le Mans, and in 1951 the marque even ran in a victory at the Sicilian Targa Florio. Frazer-Nash manufactured its fast vehicles with a tubular chassis and lightweight bodies. Only nine coupés were built in Le Mans specification. This example is the third, and it’s the only car produced as left-hand drive. Moreover, the tall first owner had the roof made an inch higher while also requesting an additional third windscreen wiper which was mounted at the top. Although the coupé underwent two restorations in 1972 and 1998, the fast racer has retained a high degree of originality. Its engine is the same one that powered the car out of the factory gates.